19-year-old woman accused of being 'super drunk' driving bit a police officer as she was being arrested
- Teenager crashed her boyfriend's car that she wasn't legally allowed to drive
- Police deemed her to be 'super drunk' and arrested her, but she wouldn't go without a fight
- Catherine Demery bit an officer on the arm
- She was landed with numerous other charges including possession of marijuana, resisting arrest, assaulting a police office and driving with a suspended license
- Michigan's drink-drive laws are some of the strictest in the nation
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 11:18 EST, 31 January 2014 | UPDATED: 12:13 EST, 31 January 2014
Biter! Catherine Demery, 19, crashed whilse driving 'super drunk' and then bit an officer on the arm while resisting arrest
A 19-year-old Michigan woman who police say crashed a vehicle in Ypsilanti while driving 'super drunk' bit an officer on the arm while resisting arrest.
Catherine Demery was arraigned earlier this month after being charged with a string of offenses.
Michigan's 'super drunk' driving law has enhanced penalties for anyone caught driving with a blood-alcohol content of .17 percent or higher
Ypsilanti police say it was obvious that Demery was drunk as she ended up losing control of the car.
Charges include: unlawful use of a motor vehicle, operating while intoxicated, operating with a blood alcohol content higher than .17, two counts of resisting or assaulting a police officer, possession of marijuana, malicious destruction of property, driving with a suspended license and being a minor in possession of alcohol.
Demery then failed sobriety tests and resisted arrest. 'She bit an officer,' Detective Sgt. Thomas Eberts said to Michigan Live.
WHAT IS BEING 'SUPER DRUNK'?
Michigan's 'Super Drunk' law applies
to drivers with no prior OUI convictions within the past seven years who
operate a motor vehicle with a BAC of .17% or higher.
Drivers with a prior conviction within seven years face enhanced penalties, even more harsh then those for a typical Super Drunk conviction.
someone in a traditional drunk driving case with a blood alcohol conent
below .17%--you could face a maximum of 93 days in jail. The maximum
jail sentence for a Super Drunk case is 180 days—almost double. The
length of a driver’s license suspension is also increased, as are the
A conviction under the new legislation will compromise your driving privileges and jeopardize your present and future employment. You will also have created permanent criminal record for yourself
Charged: They include unlawful use of a motor vehicle, operating while intoxicated, operating with a blood alcohol content higher than .17, two counts of resisting or assaulting a police officer, possession of marijuana and driving with a suspended license
The officer was bitten on the arm and did not require any medical attention.
It turned out the vehicle belonged to Demery's boyfriend, and she did not have permission to drive it.
The incident happened last September but she wasn't arrested until results from blood tests came back when it was found she was well over the drink-drive limit.
Demery is now on a $5,000 bond with an additional court date set for next month.
Boozer:The teenager makes no secret of the fact she's an alcohol lover
The teenager, who works at the a pet store in Royal Oak, Michigan, makes no secret of the fact she's an alcohol lover. In a Twitter account in her name @crazii_cathii is regularly seen tweeting about her favorite tipple. 'There's a full half gal of captain morgans somewhere in my house..' she wrote on one entry.
In another online outburst she broadcasts how she is looking forward to getting wasted. 'THE TETHER COMES OFF TODAY... #LET'SGETWASTED' she states..
Lost control: Demery (left) failed sobriety tests and resisted arrest and ended up biting a police officer. Here she is with her friend Danielle G (on right)
Penalties: Michigan's "super drunk" driving law has enhanced penalties for anyone caught driving with a blood-alcohol content of .17 percent or higher. Demery was also driving her boyfriends car at the time of the crash, which she was not entitled to drive
Hanging over her: The incident happened last September but she wasn't arrested until results from blood tests came back when it was found she was well over the drink-drive limit
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Jailhouse video captured the rough handling of Coal City, Illinois, woman, Dana Holmes, in May last yearShe claims the sheriff's deputies violated her civil rights ...
- Cambridge and Co: Kate and William land in New Zealand with Prince George flanked by entourage including new Spanish nanny and Duchess's personal hairdresser
- The Obamas' failed marriage and looming divorce is an 'open secret,' claims a member of Japan's parliament, and the president is using the Secret Service to hide his affairs
- Cast-off wife of Saudi king begs Obama to help free her four starving daughters who've been 'locked away in a palace for 13 years'
- Taking up ballet in old age may help ward off dementia: And, don't worry, those creaky knees needn't hold you back!
- Bachelorette contestant Eric Hill dies three days after paragliding accident
- Boyfriend reveals how he watched powerlessly as his girlfriend, 23, was raped and murdered 'by neighbor' in Canada while he was chatting to her on SKYPE from China
- Kimberly Hayes was 'murdered by roommates for trying to take their baby', police believe
- Black salve ointment leaves man with an inch-wide HOLE in his head
- Bird flu alert in Japan as deadly H5 virus is confirmed on farm
- Jonathan Fleming freed after nearly 25 years in prison for murder he didn't commit
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- Why your child's 'tummy bug' could be a migraine
- Police investigation launched hours after newborn's death
- 'No credibility left whatsoever': Tea party Senate candidate shocks Kentucky by speaking at rally to defend COCKFIGHTING
- Mia Derouen's mother refusing to talk to investigators after girl is killed by pit bull
- Human skeleton found inside pickup truck in Texas lake solves Helen Holladay case
- Court hears the audio recording homeowner Byron Smith made of himself shooting dead two teens who broke into his basement
- Is THIS the SR-72 spy plane? Mystery aircraft spotted flying over Kansas just weeks after being seen in Texas
- Al Roker's bicep needed to be reattached after rotator cuff surgery
- Conservative Christian politician Vance McAllister caught kissing staffer at party
- $55 per week, 100 words per minute, 20 years of stories: 1950s receptionist's tales are brought to life in adorable new Mad Men-style animation
- Utah boy accidentally shot and killed by his sister
- Train lover builds Britain's largest indoor model railway which is 3,000ft long, has 28 trains and features scenes from around the world
- Outrage as a pair of ex-convict squatters take over Florida home of Afghan war veteran and refuse to leave
- Horrified mother of four-year-old special needs child finds decomposing body under house during Easter egg hunt
- Adam Pearson hopes to beat prejudice after Under The Skin
- Harvard-MIT medical student's death unexplained
- A playboy and gossip but he never let his beloved sister down: Richard Kay on the Mark Shand he knew
- 'I have America's worst tattoo!' Man reveals unsightly 'one foot' sausage on his inner thigh that he wants gone now he's married
- 'My mother touched me I'm certain': Hip hop mogul gunned down at mom's funeral by his nephew says his dead parent saved him
- 4 friends injured at marathon rally around victim who lost leg
- Oprah Winfrey's stepmother says relationship between her, Gayle and Stedman is 'unhealthy'
- Royal couple are mobbed on Manly beach as they meet lifeguards
- To beard or not to beard? Women only find facial hair attractive when it's OUT of fashion
- Mickey Rooney's shambolic and desperate last days: Kept away from his wife as a family wages war over the star and his funeral
- Warthog stepping into path of hungry lion captured by photographer
- Nephew gunned down uncle Benzino at funeral out of self-defense
- Michael Egan 'was also drugged and raped by a businessman after Siegfried and Roy show'
- Revealed: Inexperienced 25-year-old third mate was steering South Korean ferry at time of disaster, as hope of finding alive missing 246 passengers vanishes
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand in critical condition after fall outside NY club
- Officials warning of viral 'polar plunge' dare
- Serial sniper on the lose near Kansas City as 13 'random' shootings on three interstate highway have launched a FBI investigation
- Atherosclerosis experiment stops buildup of cholestereol inside blood vessels
- Harry Connick Jr tells American Idol singer Alex Preston that his rolled up trousers look is 'sexy'
- Girl, 21, finds her stolen Facebook photos on fake dating profiles with nude pictures
- She really WAS pregnant! Southern Charm's disgraced South Carolina politician and much younger girlfriend DID have a baby despite show's pregnancy scare false alarm
- Elderly couple found dead in apparent murder-suicide with the husband's gun beside the bodies
- Family discover ghostly image of Victorian girl in photos from Castle Museum in York visit
- Cristal Richardson gets life for castration and fatal stabbing
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Obama dwarfs Japanese emperor Akihito as he charms Tokyo
- Couple used hidden cameras to catch their own NANNY stealing their jewellery
- Lee-Ann Dixon loses seven stone after her son, 11, said she was 'too fat'
- Woman, 24, has not eaten for over a YEAR due to anorexia that started aged 8 when a teacher called her friend fat
- Are GM mosquitoes the secret to wiping out dengue fever? Brazil set to use engineered bugs to eradicate the disease
- Hollande's ex Segolene Royal forced to deny rumours that she banned low cut tops
- Five dead as Ukrainian special forces troops remove three illegal checkpoints manned by armed groups
- Kate dazzles in white on the Duke and Duchess's first night out in Australia
- The girl who was born a boy: Parents support child's 'transition' after being diagnosed with gender identity disorder at just seven years old
- The maps that reveal the startling gap between rich and poor