Death toll climbs to 22 in Pittsburgh's killer heroin epidemic
- Investigators have found many of the drug users possessed heroin bags labelled 'Theraflu,' 'Bud Ice' and 'Income Tax'
- Tests revealed those bags were laced with the super powerful narcotic Fentanyl
- Experts have likened the rash of deaths to the 1988 synthetic heroin called 'China White' killed 18 in the city
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 16:31 EST, 28 January 2014 | UPDATED: 16:37 EST, 28 January 2014
The death toll has risen to 22 in a killer heroin epidemic that has plagued the city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, for the last nine days.
Numerous more victims of the super-powered heroin are flooding emergency rooms with non-fatal overdoses and even drug dealers are beginning to warn customers about the potency of the new strain.
Health officials believe the culprit is heroin laced with fentanyl, an opiate 100 time more powerful than morphine. The new hotshots are being sold on the street marketed as 'Theraflu,' 'Bud Ice' and 'Income Tax,' according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Public health officials, along with federal, state and local police are rattling the bushes, rounding up addicts and dealers alike to determine the source of the deadly drugs.
Scroll down for video
Crisis: Officials say they've found these heroin bags stamped 'Theraflu' in possession of some of the over a dozen dead drug users who've died in the past week
'It's not like this comes from an FDA pharmacy,' Dr Neil Capretto, a medical direction of a local drug rehab clinic, told the newspaper.
'You don't know what's in it. We know that the advice not to use heroin in the first place falls on deaf ears for people with addiction.
you don't heed that advice and you are going to use, I would recommend
using significantly less because if you don't, this could be the last
time you shoot up.'
Three people were declared dead Sunday morning alone after apparent heroin overdoses in Allegheny County and officials warn the situation now looks startlingly like the crisis of 1988 when 18 Pittsburghers were killed by a powerful synthetic heroin called China White.
'The fentanyl we're seeing as a powder has to be made by somebody,' Allegheny County medical examiner Dr. Karl Williams told ABC News. 'Somebody is making this somewhere in a clandestine laboratory.'
Fentanyl is manufactured as a legal pain killer, but authorities suspect the fentanyl that laced the heroin was made in an illegal lab 'by some clever chemists.'
Allegheny county sees about one overdose case per day, Williams said. What's happened in the past week is extremely out of the ordinary.
'We usually deal with 250 drug overdoses a year so what’s going on is really significant,' he told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Fentanyl resembles heroin, though it is much more potent, and it has been blamed for dozens of deaths around the U.S.
Been here before? Found in some of the Theraflu bags was the super-potent narcotic Theraflu, which officials like Allegheny County medical examiner Dr. Karl Williams (right) says makes the recent rash of deaths eerily similar to the 1988 China White epidemic
China White: In 1988, 18 were killed in the Pittsburgh area by a drug called 3-methylfentanyl, a sort of synthetic heroin with the street name China White
Each of the people who died in the rash of overdoses has a known history of drug abuse, particularly heroin, Williams said.
Deaths also have been reported in Westmoreland County, Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto’s office said.
The area has seen periodic rises in the overdose rate, notably in 1988 when a potent chemical called 3-methylfentanyl, AKA China White, was introduced to heroin users in the area, killing 18 of them.
It remains to be seen if each of the recent victims died due to heroin laced with fentanyl.
'I don’t know yet what we’ll find in the bodies of these people,' Williams said, though something is clearly out there causing the steep rise in heroin-related deaths.
'We’re obviously dealing with a major public health crisis,' he said, something 'bringing to mind the very localized China White epidemic we had in 1988.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Three-year-old Mateo was videoed arguing with his mother, who he calls 'Linda'Mateo wanted a cupcake and went behind his mother's back to his grandmaSensing his ...
- Boston University women's basketball coach 'bullied the players so badly that multiple women quit and sought mental health treatment'
- Insider emails raise questions about patronage in state hiring
- Girl, 15, killed by train on remote Texas tracks in suspected suicide
- The hunt for Planet X: Nasa fails to find mysterious giant body that may have caused mass extinctions on Earth (and say it may not exist at all)
- Police investigate report of possible sex assault in Brookline
- Chimerex refuses to allow Josh Hardy, 7, access to life-saving Brincidofovir medicine
- Is Ikea cutting down 600-year-old trees to use for flat pack furniture? Swedish giant loses forestry stewardship certificate for felling protected woodland in Russia
- Pregnant mom who drove van full of children into the ocean spoke of demons and reported her husband had sexually assaulted her a week before murder-suicide attempt
- Woman ordered to give back $50,000 child support to banking ex-husband after losing custody of their two kids because she had an abortion
- Horror as family of four among six killed in 'drunk driver wrong-way pileup' on California highway
- Homeowner releases video of realtors having sex '10 TIMES' in his property
- Twitter's top swear words revealed: Researchers find one in 13 tweets contains a curse
- Man, 29, 'breaks into estranged wife's home before shooting her dead in front of her four children'
- Body of missing college student found inside her submerged car four days after she went missing following night out drinking
- Two teens arrested for animal cruelty over a shocking video showing a pit bull puppy being hurled in the air and repeatedly punched
- The rapping, soccer-loving Florida college freshman who had the best weekend ever at the Oscars (because his sister Lupita won best supporting actress)
- Adidas and Nike go toe to toe in World Cup battle as they release new SOCK football boots
- School in Philippines ‘paid bills with child porn’
- Man saved from submerged car during Colorado floods set to sue his rescuers for $500,000
- Mother left devastated after her daughter, 4, and 11-year-old son are both killed as she drove them to buy a puppy
- Mother and father charged after SKELETAL remains of their 3-year-old son are found stashed in toy chest
- Russian TV 'used actress to pretend to be 5 different people opposed to revolution'
- It had GPS, an indestructible black box and a beacon designed to float to the surface: So how on earth can a Boeing 777 just vanish over the sea?
- Michigan woman bites off boyfriend's ear in late-night fight
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Pistorius trial: Friend recalls moment Blade Runner fired gun out of car sunroof as athlete keeps sick bucket on standby in the dock
- Girl, 17, reveals how she fled civil war in South Sudan
- College students arrested after holding Labrador upside down and forcing it to drink from a beer keg during out-of-control party
- China's Zhou Wangyan reveals how he was tortured for six months in corruption probe
- Revealed: The two mystery Iranians travelling on stolen passports. Interpol say they do NOT believe plane was brought down by terrorism as men are revealed to be immigrants, 19 and 29
- Ukraine's fugitive president blasts 'bandit regime' and says his country is heading for civil war
- Pistorius has sick bucket on standby as pathologist casts doubt on his claim he and Reeva went to bed at 10pm because she ate three hours later
- Las Vegas aspiring teen model thrown from moving car by boyfriend
- One giant leap for diplomacy? American and two Russian astronauts land safely in middle of Kazakhstan in tiny capsule after 166-day Expedition 38 mission to NASA space station
- 'We know who one of the men on stolen passports on vanished plane was - and we don't think he is a terrorist': Malaysian police say he was Iranian asylum seeker, 19, on way to Europe