Death toll climbs to 22 in Pittsburgh's killer heroin epidemic
- Investigators have found many of the drug users possessed heroin bags labelled 'Theraflu,' 'Bud Ice' and 'Income Tax'
- Tests revealed those bags were laced with the super powerful narcotic Fentanyl
- Experts have likened the rash of deaths to the 1988 synthetic heroin called 'China White' killed 18 in the city
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 16:31 EST, 28 January 2014 | UPDATED: 16:37 EST, 28 January 2014
The death toll has risen to 22 in a killer heroin epidemic that has plagued the city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, for the last nine days.
Numerous more victims of the super-powered heroin are flooding emergency rooms with non-fatal overdoses and even drug dealers are beginning to warn customers about the potency of the new strain.
Health officials believe the culprit is heroin laced with fentanyl, an opiate 100 time more powerful than morphine. The new hotshots are being sold on the street marketed as 'Theraflu,' 'Bud Ice' and 'Income Tax,' according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Public health officials, along with federal, state and local police are rattling the bushes, rounding up addicts and dealers alike to determine the source of the deadly drugs.
Scroll down for video
Crisis: Officials say they've found these heroin bags stamped 'Theraflu' in possession of some of the over a dozen dead drug users who've died in the past week
'It's not like this comes from an FDA pharmacy,' Dr Neil Capretto, a medical direction of a local drug rehab clinic, told the newspaper.
'You don't know what's in it. We know that the advice not to use heroin in the first place falls on deaf ears for people with addiction.
you don't heed that advice and you are going to use, I would recommend
using significantly less because if you don't, this could be the last
time you shoot up.'
Three people were declared dead Sunday morning alone after apparent heroin overdoses in Allegheny County and officials warn the situation now looks startlingly like the crisis of 1988 when 18 Pittsburghers were killed by a powerful synthetic heroin called China White.
'The fentanyl we're seeing as a powder has to be made by somebody,' Allegheny County medical examiner Dr. Karl Williams told ABC News. 'Somebody is making this somewhere in a clandestine laboratory.'
Fentanyl is manufactured as a legal pain killer, but authorities suspect the fentanyl that laced the heroin was made in an illegal lab 'by some clever chemists.'
Allegheny county sees about one overdose case per day, Williams said. What's happened in the past week is extremely out of the ordinary.
'We usually deal with 250 drug overdoses a year so what’s going on is really significant,' he told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Fentanyl resembles heroin, though it is much more potent, and it has been blamed for dozens of deaths around the U.S.
Been here before? Found in some of the Theraflu bags was the super-potent narcotic Theraflu, which officials like Allegheny County medical examiner Dr. Karl Williams (right) says makes the recent rash of deaths eerily similar to the 1988 China White epidemic
China White: In 1988, 18 were killed in the Pittsburgh area by a drug called 3-methylfentanyl, a sort of synthetic heroin with the street name China White
Each of the people who died in the rash of overdoses has a known history of drug abuse, particularly heroin, Williams said.
Deaths also have been reported in Westmoreland County, Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto’s office said.
The area has seen periodic rises in the overdose rate, notably in 1988 when a potent chemical called 3-methylfentanyl, AKA China White, was introduced to heroin users in the area, killing 18 of them.
It remains to be seen if each of the recent victims died due to heroin laced with fentanyl.
'I don’t know yet what we’ll find in the bodies of these people,' Williams said, though something is clearly out there causing the steep rise in heroin-related deaths.
'We’re obviously dealing with a major public health crisis,' he said, something 'bringing to mind the very localized China White epidemic we had in 1988.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
By Sarah Gordon Published: 18:19 EST, 16 April 2014 | ...
- Mass. National Guard: Jets didn't cause sonic boom
- Boyfriend reveals how he watched powerlessly as his girlfriend, 23, was raped and murdered 'by neighbor' in Canada while he was chatting to her on SKYPE from China
- Position you sleep in with partner reveals strength of relationship
- Pam and Cheryl flipped their Studebaker into a flooded ditch in 1971, drowned and lay undiscovered for more than 40 YEARS, investigators announce
- The Ethiopian peace ritual that involves being smeared with DUNG
- Pope Francis warns Christians Satan is trying to tempt you
- Conservative Christian politician Vance McAllister caught kissing staffer at party
- South Korea ferry disaster passengers' relatives pelt prime minister with water bottle
- Wu-Tang Clan-affiliated rapper cut off his own penis then attempted suicide by jumping off a building
- Dutch teen is ARRESTED in Rotterdam after tweeting 'joke' bomb threat to American Airlines
- Flower girl, 4, who took her first steps - thanks to a harness attached to her dad
- 'Perhaps there are some unconventional ways to lure me away from my company (besides stock options): The incredibly sexist email a man headhunted by female CEO sent, hinting he'd only join her company in exchange for sexual favors
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
- Edmond Aviv ordered by judge to hold 'I'm a bully!' sign
- Jeopardy champion stumped on final clue, even though she was WEARING the answer (a peace sign) as jewelry
- The novice, the dilettante, the journeyman and the master: Revealed, the four types of HIT MAN, according to criminologists
- Mom high on drugs KIDNAPS young daughter and leads police on high-speed chase with child ON HER LAP
- The experiment that proves Parrots give their children names
- Twitter 'replacing retweet button with Facebook-style 'share' option'
- US Airways social media manager speaks out about 'worst tweet of all time'
- Deadly mosquito detected in San Francisco for the first time in 35 years
- Scientists develop 'Star Trek' scanner that can detect cancer, HIV and other killer diseases in minutes
- Herald: Missing former Lynnfield woman found dead in Nicaragua
- Student who got a pink Mohawk for breast cancer awareness in honor of sick mother BANNED from competing in track unless he cuts it off
- Cristal Richardson gets life for castration and fatal stabbing
- Girl finds pet puppy hanging from tree with noose around neck
- 'Women with large chests are expected to wear turtlenecks': Outrage after Disneyland worker ordered mother of three and military wife to cover up her cleavage
- Shocking video captures moment a subway train speeds over a wailing man lying on the tracks ... and he SURVIVES
- Real-life act of sisterly devotion which inspired Disney's Frozen
- Troubled Colts owner Jim Irsay's 'former friend' died of drug overdose
- Leader of Christian ministry followed by the Duggar family from TLC's 19 Kids And Counting is accused of using teenage girl as 'personal sex slave' in $1m lawsuit
- Surveillance shows burglar looking over Thinh Le's baby boy
- Al Roker's bicep needed to be reattached after rotator cuff surgery
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- Microsoft honors the placid landscape that is the Windows XP default computer background as it says goodbye to XP support after 13 years
- Radical Egyptian preacher seen in a New York court without his prosthetic arms as a jury is chosen for his terrorism trial
- Crowds greet William, Kate and baby Prince George as they arrive in Australia for ten day tour
- She really WAS pregnant! Southern Charm's disgraced South Carolina politician and much younger girlfriend DID have a baby despite show's pregnancy scare false alarm
- 2 dead in Mass Pike minivan, tractor trailer crash
- 2 people die in Mass. Pike crash
- THREE models take dramatic tumbles at China Fashion Week show
- Mia Derouen's mother refusing to talk to investigators after girl is killed by pit bull
- 'I got ACCEPTED!' The heartwarming moment of pure joy when a high schooler with Down Syndrome learns that he's going to college
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Scandal star Columbus Short's wife claims he threatened murder/suicide... then obtains restraining order and files for divorce
- Prince George looks less than impressed in arms of his nanny
- Woman has 50 orgasms a DAY due to Persistent Genital Arousal Disorder
- Woman burned after 'using melted gummy bears during sex'
- Wen Zhang apologises to wife Ma Yili for Yao Di cheating scandal
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Duke of Cambridge gets a little too close to cliff at beauty spot in Australia after meeting victims of bushfires with Kate
- Holly Morrison 'allowed her boyfriend to sexually assault disabled 14-year-old relative'
- South Korean ferry children sent text messages moments before it sank
- Woman claims she has PTSD from Twitter and cyberstalking
- Ford goes to great heights to shows off 50th anniversary Mustang
- Iranian man spared from execution by his victim's parents
- Joe Biden joins Instagram
- Mother-of-two stricken with brain cancer was given six months to live - but nine tumours have disappeared and she's still alive four years later
- An American Odyssey: First colour postcards of the 'New World'
- Bomb threat on Twitter delays United jet bound for Washington D.C. from New York