TWO senior American bankers working in London commit suicide in just two days
- Gabriel Magee, a 39-year-old JP Morgan bank executive, died this morning after he threw himself off the top of the bank's European headquarters
- On Sunday, former Deutsche Bank senior manager, William 'Bill' Broeksmit, 58, was found hanging in his home in South Kensington
- Both deaths have been ruled non-suspicious by the Metropolitan Police
- Magee had lived in London fro seven years after transferring from the Unites States with JP Morgan
- Broeksmit had been in London many years but still owned an apartment in an exclusive Central Park building in New York
- Both were thought highly of by their bosses and colleagues, sources said
By Martin Robinson and Mark Duell and Kieran Corcoran
PUBLISHED: 16:46 EST, 28 January 2014 | UPDATED: 16:58 EST, 28 January 2014
Two top ranking American bankers working in senior positions in London have committed suicide in the space of two days.
Gabriel Magee, a 39-year-old JP Morgan bank executive, died early this morning after he jumped 500ft from the top of the bank's European headquarters. His body was discovered on the ninth floor roof, which surrounds the 33-story Canary Wharf skyscraper.
Just two days earlier, on Sunday, fellow American banker, William 'Bill' Broeksmit, 58, was found hanging in his South Kensington home.
Broeksmit - who retired last February - was a former senior manager at Deutsche Bank and had lived in London many years. He started working for the bank in 1996 but left for a period of 7 years before returning in 2008.
Tragedy: IT executive Gabriel Magee has been found dead today after jumping from the top of JP Morgan's headquarters in Canary Wharf, London, and landing on a surrounding roof
Magee was a vice president in the corporate and investment bank technology department having joined JP Morgan in 2004 and moved with the bank from the U.S. to Britain in 2007.
Magee was named in an email sent to all JP Morgan staff Tuesday afternoon.
A company spokesman said: 'We are
deeply saddened to have lost a member of the J.P. Morgan family at 25
Bank Street today. Our thoughts and sympathy are with his family and
A source close to Magee said he was in 'good standing with his bosses and colleagues. He was well liked.'
Scotland Yard said they were called to 25 Bank Street at 8.02 a.m. and detectives are not treating the death as suspicious.
'No arrests have been made and the incident is being treated as non-suspicious at this early stage', a spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said.
Canary Wharf workers were in shock today, with one trader telling MailOnline that his body lay on the flat roof until around midday.
'My colleague yelled that he could see that someone had jumped from the top of the building onto a lower roof. His body lay there uncovered for at least two hours,' he said.
In shock: A JP Morgan worker looks out of his window as Mr Magee's body was recovered today
Roof death: Workers at Canary Wharf said hundreds were looking at the man's body from their windows
Investigation: Police at the scene outside the JP Morgan building this morning, where the man was found dead at around 8am
'Hundreds were looking out of their windows at him.
'It was bonus week at JP Morgan last week so I hope it wasn't to do with that'.
Another Canary Wharf worker who could see where the man fell told the Evening Standard: 'It’s upsetting what’s happened but the thought of somebody lying up there for four hours is awful.
'I got into the office at about 8.10 and the body was on the floor and there were police up there, and they put a white cover on him.
'I think he was in a suit. As far as I could see the was dressed appropriately, but there was quite a lot of blood, so me and my colleagues were a bit upset.'
Others tweeted that what they saw this morning.
Amie Hughes-Gage said: 'Just watched the police finally remove that poor bankers body 4 and half hours later with only a white sheet over him.'
Hetal Patel tweeted: 'The 9th floor roof of JP Morgan is visible from my office window. For a long time the body was left cordoned & unattended'.
Another wrote online: 'It's not a nice view from my building. The body is on the rooftop of level 9. So sad'.
An air ambulance was sent to the scene but the man could not be saved.
'We were called to Bank Street to reports of a person fallen form a height', London Ambulance Service spokesman said:
'We sent one ambulance crew, a duty officer, our hazardous area response team and London Air Ambulance to the scene.
'Sadly a man in his 30s was pronounced dead at the scene.'
JP Morgan's building has been the headquarters of the bank's Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) operation since July 2012.
It used to be owned by Lehman Brothers until its collapse in 2008, and the area houses the headquarters of other banking giants including HSBC and Barclays.
The horrific tragedy came hot on the heels of the shock death of of Broeksmit Sunday, who apparently had close ties to co-chief executive Anshu Jain.
Jain and fellow co-chief executive Juergen Fitschen said in an internal memo: 'He was considered by many of his peers to be among the finest minds in the fields of risk and capital management.
'We are deeply saddened by Bill's death. He was a dear friend and colleague to many of us who benefitted from his intellect and wisdom.
Location: The body of William 'Bill' Broeksmit, 58, was found at his home in South Kensington, central London
Discovery: Police had been called to reports of a man found hanging at a house on this road, Evelyn Gardens
'Our thoughts and condolences are with his wife and family at this time. We will remember him for his contributions to Deutsche Bank, thoughtful advice and personal friendship.'
Broeksmit worked in investment banking - specifically risk and securities - and lived on exclusive Evelyn Gardens in South Kensington, which has an average property value of £1.9million.
He is also registered to a high-value property a stone's throw from New York's Central Park.
Broeksmit's name appears on U.S. government records for the Broeksmit Family Foundation, which is based in the palatial 1185 Park Avenue building.
The three-bedroom, three-bathroom apartment to which he is linked was worth $4,500,000 when it was last sold in June 2000.
He worked at Deutsche Bank from 1996 to 2001, then from 2008 until he retired. Broeksmit was also employed by Merrill Lynch for a period.
Broeksmit was one of around 100 bankers who left Merrill Lynch for Deutsche when its investment banking arm was founded in the 1990s.
Links: Mr Broeksmit is linked by U.S. documents to an apartment in this building, yards from Central Park
Offices: He worked at Deutsche Bank from 1996 to 2001, then from 2008 until he retired (file picture)
He was involved in the process of rescuing the bank in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis, when many investment banks found their debts were 'toxic', and unlikely ever to be repaid.
Broeksmit, a renowned risk expert, assisted the bank's efforts to shift the worst of the debt, and reduce its total amount of lending.
Chiefs at Deutsche Bank had planned to promote Broeksmit to its management board in 2012, but stopped when the German financial regulator expressed doubts about his experience as a leader.
Scotland Yard confirmed only that a 58-year-old man was found hanged.
A spokesman said: 'Police were called at 12.35 p.m. on Sunday to a man found hanging at Evelyn Gardens, SW7.
'Kensington and Chelsea police, ambulance and air ambulance all attended. A 58-year-old man was declared dead at the scene. The death is being treated as non-suspicious.'
If you are struggling with any issues and need someone to talk to - if calling from the UK please contact The Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
US - Call the Samaritans branch in your area or 1 (800) 273-TALK
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Boyfriend reveals how he watched powerlessly as his girlfriend, 23, was raped and murdered 'by neighbor' in Canada while he was chatting to her on SKYPE from China
Qian 'Necole' Liu, 23, was found dead on the morning of April 15, 2011, in her basement apartment in Toronto covered in blood and semenThe ...
- Brother's widow alleges Modell CEO spent $7m of family company's cash
- Arion1 Velocipede capsule is a BICYCLE and could be the fastest in history
- My bonnet's bigger than yours! From Dean Martin to Judy Garland, vintage photographs reveal the pomp and circumstance of New York's Easter Parade
- Peaches Geldof 'was found dead with her 11-month-old son by her side after husband raised the alarm because she wasn't answering her phone'
- My mother hit me and made me kowtow to her... on my knees: Vanessa Mae reveals how her strict tiger mother slapped her face to improve her violin playing
- Conservative Christian politician Vance McAllister caught kissing staffer at party
- 12 gold bars found INSIDE Indian man who went to doctors complaining of stomach aches
- Kimchi Truong, 24, dies from overdose after collapsing at Coachella
- Harvard-MIT medical student's death unexplained
- Harvard-MIT medical student's death unexplained
- $55 per week, 100 words per minute, 20 years of stories: 1950s receptionist's tales are brought to life in adorable new Mad Men-style animation
- Kitten cam! The site that lets you play with cats online and remotely control their toys
- 'She's Dead. I Have The Last Laugh': Man strangled girlfriend then callously texted her parents to tell them he had killed her
- Why Game of Thrones is making love lives suffer: Box sets are prompting us to ignore our partners and cancel social plans
- Twitter 'replacing retweet button with Facebook-style 'share' option'
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter who spent 20 years in prison after wrongful conviction for murder dead at 76 after battle with prostate cancer
- Inventor spends millions on RV to take his four year old around the world
- Mickey Rooney's shambolic and desperate last days: Kept away from his wife as a family wages war over the star and his funeral
- Must be destiny! Disgraced South Carolina politician turned Bravo reality TV star, 51, looks perfect for much younger girlfriend 22, in matching mugshots
- Is China's smog causing freak weather all over the WORLD?
- Tetra Pak heir who lost wife in drugs tragedy to wed White Mischief aristocrat's granddaughter haunted by suicide of fashionista sister
- Eeek! Houston Astros prospect took a 90mph baseball to the cheek and then took a frightening selfie from the hospital to show everyone
- '2 drunk 2 care' Kayla Maria Mendoza hears from victims' families after fatal crash
- NASA astronauts claim the 'only thing preventing a city-killer asteroid is luck'
- Cows wear BACKPACKS to capture methane emissions
- Bodies of teen girl on Spring break and her 33-year-old aunt pulled from Lake Erie after they went missing with two men on fishing trip
- El Chapo's sons take to Twitter to brag about their girls, guns and fast cars
- Cristal Richardson gets life for castration and fatal stabbing
- Record crowds of 80,000 descend upon Denver to mark historic 4/20 celebration of marijuana becoming legal in Colorado (even though it's against the law to smoke in public)
- Flames destroy old convent
- Elegant in a dove grey coat dress, Kate attends church with William on a sunny Easter Sunday in Sydney
- He's not horsing around - this is horse YOGA: The bizarre art of taming wild stallions...by doing handstands on them
- Who was to blame? Parents sue frat party organisers after drunk student died crossing train tracks
- 12-year-old Boy Scout killed on troop outing when a felled tree rolls over him
- English teacher's hilarious red-pen response to pupil's expletive-laden letter
- Hush Hush stockings range by hosiery firm Ballerina laced with sexy female pheromones
- Duchess of Cambridge Kate wears blue coat dress at wreath-laying ceremony in New Zealand
- Al Roker's bicep needed to be reattached after rotator cuff surgery
- Apple announces June 2nd conference which could see the iWatch unveiled
- Human skeleton found inside pickup truck in Texas lake solves Helen Holladay case
- High school senior forms petition against Michele Obama
- Former cop shoots dead his wife in front of their two young children
- Sophisticated meth lab found in million dollar lakeside home
- Miss America asks school to reconsider their suspension of a high school senior who asked her to prom
- Easter Sunday gun battle at eastern Ukraine check-point leaves 3 pro-Russians and 2 Ukrainians dead in bloodiest battle so far
- Young prince meets New Zealand babies and their families on his official public engagement
- Woman claims she has PTSD from Twitter and cyberstalking
- 30 pounds of pot found in asparagus shipment, police say
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Ace! After half a century of golfing, widow, 85, hits her first hole in one
- Found in a suburban garden in Hampshire... the chilling 300-year-old skeletal remains from Napoleon's army
- Man who repeatedly resisted arrest and was tasered FOUR TIMES dies soon after on route to hospital
- Prince William follows in his late mother's footsteps as he signs a priceless Bible used in first-ever Christian service in Australia
- Take-away... far, far, away: Food supplies arrive at the International Space Station today as part of a cargo drop - 250 miles above the Earth's surface and hovering over the Nile in Egypt
- Doctors saved pregnant woman after performing open-heart surgery to remove egg-sized tumor
- Make-up to make you glam in glasses: Wear specs? A new book says you need to choose your cosmetics very carefully
- 4-year-old half siblings die in accidental NY fire
- Eat your way to younger skin in 28 days: Boost your skin, lose up to 12lb and even reverse wrinkles
- Prince William outed as huge fan of The Hobbit according to the man who plays Bilbo Baggins