TWO senior American bankers working in London commit suicide in just two days
- Gabriel Magee, a 39-year-old JP Morgan bank executive, died this morning after he threw himself off the top of the bank's European headquarters
- On Sunday, former Deutsche Bank senior manager, William 'Bill' Broeksmit, 58, was found hanging in his home in South Kensington
- Both deaths have been ruled non-suspicious by the Metropolitan Police
- Magee had lived in London fro seven years after transferring from the Unites States with JP Morgan
- Broeksmit had been in London many years but still owned an apartment in an exclusive Central Park building in New York
- Both were thought highly of by their bosses and colleagues, sources said
By Martin Robinson and Mark Duell and Kieran Corcoran
PUBLISHED: 16:46 EST, 28 January 2014 | UPDATED: 16:58 EST, 28 January 2014
Two top ranking American bankers working in senior positions in London have committed suicide in the space of two days.
Gabriel Magee, a 39-year-old JP Morgan bank executive, died early this morning after he jumped 500ft from the top of the bank's European headquarters. His body was discovered on the ninth floor roof, which surrounds the 33-story Canary Wharf skyscraper.
Just two days earlier, on Sunday, fellow American banker, William 'Bill' Broeksmit, 58, was found hanging in his South Kensington home.
Broeksmit - who retired last February - was a former senior manager at Deutsche Bank and had lived in London many years. He started working for the bank in 1996 but left for a period of 7 years before returning in 2008.
Tragedy: IT executive Gabriel Magee has been found dead today after jumping from the top of JP Morgan's headquarters in Canary Wharf, London, and landing on a surrounding roof
Magee was a vice president in the corporate and investment bank technology department having joined JP Morgan in 2004 and moved with the bank from the U.S. to Britain in 2007.
Magee was named in an email sent to all JP Morgan staff Tuesday afternoon.
A company spokesman said: 'We are
deeply saddened to have lost a member of the J.P. Morgan family at 25
Bank Street today. Our thoughts and sympathy are with his family and
A source close to Magee said he was in 'good standing with his bosses and colleagues. He was well liked.'
Scotland Yard said they were called to 25 Bank Street at 8.02 a.m. and detectives are not treating the death as suspicious.
'No arrests have been made and the incident is being treated as non-suspicious at this early stage', a spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said.
Canary Wharf workers were in shock today, with one trader telling MailOnline that his body lay on the flat roof until around midday.
'My colleague yelled that he could see that someone had jumped from the top of the building onto a lower roof. His body lay there uncovered for at least two hours,' he said.
In shock: A JP Morgan worker looks out of his window as Mr Magee's body was recovered today
Roof death: Workers at Canary Wharf said hundreds were looking at the man's body from their windows
Investigation: Police at the scene outside the JP Morgan building this morning, where the man was found dead at around 8am
'Hundreds were looking out of their windows at him.
'It was bonus week at JP Morgan last week so I hope it wasn't to do with that'.
Another Canary Wharf worker who could see where the man fell told the Evening Standard: 'It’s upsetting what’s happened but the thought of somebody lying up there for four hours is awful.
'I got into the office at about 8.10 and the body was on the floor and there were police up there, and they put a white cover on him.
'I think he was in a suit. As far as I could see the was dressed appropriately, but there was quite a lot of blood, so me and my colleagues were a bit upset.'
Others tweeted that what they saw this morning.
Amie Hughes-Gage said: 'Just watched the police finally remove that poor bankers body 4 and half hours later with only a white sheet over him.'
Hetal Patel tweeted: 'The 9th floor roof of JP Morgan is visible from my office window. For a long time the body was left cordoned & unattended'.
Another wrote online: 'It's not a nice view from my building. The body is on the rooftop of level 9. So sad'.
An air ambulance was sent to the scene but the man could not be saved.
'We were called to Bank Street to reports of a person fallen form a height', London Ambulance Service spokesman said:
'We sent one ambulance crew, a duty officer, our hazardous area response team and London Air Ambulance to the scene.
'Sadly a man in his 30s was pronounced dead at the scene.'
JP Morgan's building has been the headquarters of the bank's Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) operation since July 2012.
It used to be owned by Lehman Brothers until its collapse in 2008, and the area houses the headquarters of other banking giants including HSBC and Barclays.
The horrific tragedy came hot on the heels of the shock death of of Broeksmit Sunday, who apparently had close ties to co-chief executive Anshu Jain.
Jain and fellow co-chief executive Juergen Fitschen said in an internal memo: 'He was considered by many of his peers to be among the finest minds in the fields of risk and capital management.
'We are deeply saddened by Bill's death. He was a dear friend and colleague to many of us who benefitted from his intellect and wisdom.
Location: The body of William 'Bill' Broeksmit, 58, was found at his home in South Kensington, central London
Discovery: Police had been called to reports of a man found hanging at a house on this road, Evelyn Gardens
'Our thoughts and condolences are with his wife and family at this time. We will remember him for his contributions to Deutsche Bank, thoughtful advice and personal friendship.'
Broeksmit worked in investment banking - specifically risk and securities - and lived on exclusive Evelyn Gardens in South Kensington, which has an average property value of £1.9million.
He is also registered to a high-value property a stone's throw from New York's Central Park.
Broeksmit's name appears on U.S. government records for the Broeksmit Family Foundation, which is based in the palatial 1185 Park Avenue building.
The three-bedroom, three-bathroom apartment to which he is linked was worth $4,500,000 when it was last sold in June 2000.
He worked at Deutsche Bank from 1996 to 2001, then from 2008 until he retired. Broeksmit was also employed by Merrill Lynch for a period.
Broeksmit was one of around 100 bankers who left Merrill Lynch for Deutsche when its investment banking arm was founded in the 1990s.
Links: Mr Broeksmit is linked by U.S. documents to an apartment in this building, yards from Central Park
Offices: He worked at Deutsche Bank from 1996 to 2001, then from 2008 until he retired (file picture)
He was involved in the process of rescuing the bank in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis, when many investment banks found their debts were 'toxic', and unlikely ever to be repaid.
Broeksmit, a renowned risk expert, assisted the bank's efforts to shift the worst of the debt, and reduce its total amount of lending.
Chiefs at Deutsche Bank had planned to promote Broeksmit to its management board in 2012, but stopped when the German financial regulator expressed doubts about his experience as a leader.
Scotland Yard confirmed only that a 58-year-old man was found hanged.
A spokesman said: 'Police were called at 12.35 p.m. on Sunday to a man found hanging at Evelyn Gardens, SW7.
'Kensington and Chelsea police, ambulance and air ambulance all attended. A 58-year-old man was declared dead at the scene. The death is being treated as non-suspicious.'
If you are struggling with any issues and need someone to talk to - if calling from the UK please contact The Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 or via email email@example.com.
US - Call the Samaritans branch in your area or 1 (800) 273-TALK
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
By Meghan Keneally Published: 16:24 EST, 3 April 2014 | ...
- Who was to blame? Parents sue frat party organisers after drunk student died crossing train tracks
- Byron Smith was 'scared in his own home,' claims defense attorney in murder trial
- Woman who pulled three teens from fiery wreck says screams from driver she wasn't able to save still haunt her
- Co-pilot of missing flight MH370 tried to make a call from his mobile phone AFTER the aircraft 'vanished'... but he 'was abruptly cut off'
- Just married...we give it two years! Sacred cow and a bull wed in lavish £10,000 Indian ceremony in front of 5,000 villagers
- Conservative Christian politician Vance McAllister caught kissing staffer at party
- 'Manipulative' Miami man, 42, GUILTY of brutally murdering his wife with a tire iron just four days after their wedding so he could claim her $1 million life insurance
- America's middle class no longer world's richest, its the CANADIANS
- Boyfriend reveals how he watched powerlessly as his girlfriend, 23, was raped and murdered 'by neighbor' in Canada while he was chatting to her on SKYPE from China
- Beverly Hills Hotel boycott over Sultan of Brunei's plan to stone gays
- 'I didn't call the cops because he was one of them': Social worker claims her ex-police officer boss raped her 18 times in 'torture chamber' office
- A gentleman is always on time and makes love on his elbows... but doesn't tweet or own a cat: Country Life reveal the ten dos and don'ts of the 'Gentlemanly Commandments'
- Alex Hribal's classmate reveals suspect, 16, who injured 21 in school stabbing spree was BULLIED on Facebook the night before bloody rampage
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- Harvard-MIT medical student's death unexplained
- Warthog stepping into path of hungry lion captured by photographer
- Sophisticated meth lab found in million dollar lakeside home
- Jose Oliver says DCF officials should be jailed for failing his dead son Jeremiah
- First South Korea ferry victims' funerals are held today
- El Chapo's sons take to Twitter to brag about their girls, guns and fast cars
- $55 per week, 100 words per minute, 20 years of stories: 1950s receptionist's tales are brought to life in adorable new Mad Men-style animation
- Bachelorette contestant left comatose in critical condition after paragliding accident
- 'Playing with puzzles is better for toddlers than learning to read and write': Psycologist says teaching young children the 3Rs could be damaging
- Youth football coach Craig Michael Wood, who 'kidnapped and killed girl, 10' is now facing rape and sodomy charges too
- Lioness survives being gored horrifically by a buffalo
- The world's largest model railway, complete with 100 trains
- What is the mystery light on Mars? Distant 'glow' seen in Curiosity rover's latest photo
- Officer has face mauled by police K9 when he tried to take selfie with it
- Kate and Wills arrive in the heart of Australia: Royal couple receive traditional Aborigine welcome as they arrive at Uluru
- Christopher Reeves busted on DUI and meth charges wearing Superman T-shirt
- Family discover ghostly image of Victorian girl in photos from Castle Museum in York visit
- Why your child's 'tummy bug' could be a migraine
- Student admits to donning mask and creeping into room of female classmate before strangling her to death after watching her via web cam
- Girl, 21, finds her stolen Facebook photos on fake dating profiles with nude pictures
- Serial child abductor being sought after she snatched baby and stroller from nanny in Manhattan
- Body of adult man found during 'recovery' search for missing Relisha Rudd
- Husband and wife, both police officers in Chicago, dead in apparent murder-suicide
- Two young couples ripped apart after dirt bike crashes into a motorcycle killing three of them
- Leader of Christian ministry followed by the Duggar family from TLC's 19 Kids And Counting is accused of using teenage girl as 'personal sex slave' in $1m lawsuit
- Outrage as a pair of ex-convict squatters take over Florida home of Afghan war veteran and refuse to leave
- DNA 'edited' to cure liver disease and could be used for Down's Syndrome
- Hawaii stowaway boy went missing 36 HOURS before he was found
- Utah 'serial baby killer' Megan Huntsman appears in court
- Dr. Zyad Younan refuses to pay $135k strip club bill because he claims he was 'drugged'
- Elon Musk's SpaceX Dragon successfully docks with International Space Station and delivers more than two tons of much-needed supplies
- MH370 search sub on standby in hope of hearing another 'ping'
- Samsung launches its Galaxy S5 and Gear range on the same day to take a swipe at Apple
- Horrified mother of four-year-old special needs child finds decomposing body under house during Easter egg hunt
- Michael Egan 'was also drugged and raped by a businessman after Siegfried and Roy show'
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Scientists find clues about human ageing in blood of 115-year-old
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand dies after fall outside NY club
- Robot 'Charlie' makes EYE-CONTACT
- Amazon Prime gets exclusive deals on classic HBO programming
- Spacewalking astronauts finish urgent repair job on ISS computer
- Bachelorette contestant Eric Hill dies three days after paragliding accident
- Eliza O'Neill's family raises over $500k in just 2 WEEKS with viral video
- 'Bionic ear' restores a person's hearing for the first time
- William Rapfogel admits stealing $5 million in insurance scam
- Former Fortune 500 executive Robert Dellinger charged with murder