Horror of Red Lobster waitress as she collects check from customer to see they have written 'none ni**er' in the tip section
- Server was in the middle of her shift on Saturday afternoon when couple wrote insult on receipt
- Young woman has put the jibe down to 'racists living in the Southern U.S.'
- A few have questioned the authenticity of the taunt noting two different styles of handwriting
By James Daniel
PUBLISHED: 18:06 EST, 8 September 2013 | UPDATED: 18:37 EST, 8 September 2013
A server working at a Red Lobster restaurant in an affluent suburb of Nashville, Tennessee was subjected to a racist jibe after customers left the words 'none ni**er' in the tip section of the check.
Toni Christina Jenkins, who is 19, was in the middle of her shift at the seafood restaurant in Franklin and serving a couple of customers who racked up a $45 bill during their afternoon meal.
When the time came to pay the check, Miss Jenkins, who is training to be a nurse, found the racist insult written on the couple's receipt.
Racist tip: A server working at this Red Lobster restaurant in Franklin, Tennessee was subject to racists abuse in the tip section of the receipt
Toni Christina Jenkins: So happy to live in the proud southern states..God Bless America, land of the free and home of the low class racists of Tennessee, she wrote
'This is what I got as a tip last night...so happy to live in the proud southern states..God Bless America, land of the free and home of the low class racists of Tennessee,' wrote Miss Jenkins on her Facebook page.
Speaking exclusively to MailOnline, Miss Jenkins said that she would never hold a grudge or fake a receipt simply for not receiving a tip. 'I don't get tips all the time. I really don't care cause God is my provider I don't worry about tips.'
Miss Jenkins described the few minutes on Saturday afternoon as she served the couple who left the racist receipt as particularly strange.
'They were extremely rude, but I introduced myself to them and they didn't respond. When I came to take their orderm they simply told me they wanted their food and to put everything in a to-go box. I offered them dessert but they told me abruptly that they just wanted the check.'
'When I went back to the table they had gone and left the receipt and had written the comments.'
The couple were said to be a man and woman in their 20s.
Seafood shack: The restaurant is located in Franklin, an affluent suburb of Nashville, Tennessee
Miss Jenkins said after picking up the receipt, she showed it to her manager who reassured her that she had done nothing wrong and that she did not deserve such abuse.
Speaking of her decision to post the receipt online, Miss Jenkins said she had been surprised by the reaction.
'It's all very surprising to me. When I posted it I thought it might get a few 'likes' from friends and family. People praying for me, that kind of thing. I didn't think it would escalate this quickly. I am just a 19-year-old nursing student.'
The branch of Red Lobster in Franklin where Miss Jenkins works has now suspended the teenager on full pay until they decide what to do next.
Shocked: Toni Jenkins is a nursing student at Belmont University. She told her manager about the racist remark left on the receipt. She has now been suspended from the restaurant on full pay
Virtually all of the comments on the teenagers Facebook page were from friends showing their support for the young woman.
However, some have also cast doubt on the authenticity of the writing.
One doubter commented: 'As a black man, I simply don't believe this is real. The word 'none' has totally different handwriting from the word 'Ni**er.' There's lots of stories lately of people making false accusations of racism or discrimination for attention. I think you should just admit you did this yourself because you were mad he didn't tip you... This poor man is innocent and I think you are racist against white people.'
Strange behavior: Miss Jenkins (pictured) said the couple who left the racist comment were acting odd and simply ordered their food in to-go boxes before quickly leaving the restaurat
Others have sprung to the server's defense stating that she would have been unlikely to have 'faked' a restaurant receipt knowing that it would be scrutinized by her close friends and possibly the media.
One observant poster noted that the two words appeared to be in different handwriting styles with the 'N' capitalised on one line, but not on the other. The letter 'e' also looked to be different in each of the words.
Nonetheless, Miss Jenkins, who works two and half days each week at Red Lobster, has continued to stand by her story, and has encouraged friends and acquaintances to 'share' her shocking insult.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
College student Jasmine Pilchard-Gosnell spent three hours at Paul Walker's Santa Barbara, California, home Tuesday Pilchard-Gosnell, 23, and Paul Walker, 40, had been together for ...
- Graham Elliot reveals dramatic 128lbs weight loss as he completes his first 5k race... just months after stomach reduction surgery
- North Korean prison camp officials 'raped women and killed them to keep it secret'
- Burton unveils Olympic Snowboarding uniforms inspired by American folk art (but why aren't they made in the USA?)
- Was Paul Walker trapped in Porsche GT as it started to burn? New footage shows flames did not fully engulf supercar for a MINUTE after crash
- Country music star Jason Aldean's tour bus hits and kills pedestrian while he is onboard
- Paul Walker's heartbroken sister angrily denies star was drag racing before his fiery death - as his father and brothers collapse in tears outside family home
- Sierra Hartman's remarkable pictures of San Francisco's hidden tunnels
- Eleanor Witt Turner and Frank Eugene Turner, couple married 65 years die hours apart
- Paul Walker's best friend and ex Aubrianna Atwell 'devastated' by death
- British car maker Morgan ousted founder's final family member from board
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over Sarah Palin comments
- Pictures of Paul Walker as best man at brother's wedding weeks ago
- Horror for mother-of-two as she live-tweets deadly car accident... only to discover her husband had been killed in it
- Body removed from wreckage of helicopter pub crash while bandaged victim returns to lay flowers at the harrowing scene
- Dakota Moore, student who tried to commit suicide live on 4chan
- Wael Ali dies: Man, 25, laid to rest next to the twin brother he stood trial for killing six years ago
- Terre des Hommes creates CGI girl called Sweetie to entice child porn predators
- Obama's dog Sunny knocks over little girl at Michelle's White House Christmas ceremony
- Chick-Fil-A announces it will remove chemicals in food
- 'Money Honey' Maria Bartiromo leaving CNBC after 20 years to take up a position at FOX
- Siberian teen sells her virginity for $27,950
- Pictured: Paul Walker's devastated girlfriend makes emotional visit to his family's home for the first time since deadly Porsche crash as it is revealed that she collapsed after learning of his death
- Young mother, 17, is stabbed to death 'by child's father' while holding their infant daughter in her arms outside her school
- Kids reenact pole-licking scene from A Christmas Story on New York Subway
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Now you can buy cars with Bitcoin: Lamborghini adds itself to list of companies that accepts the digital currency
- International school in Libya says American teacher shot while jogging
- Fetish model's career was nearly ruined after she discovered her breast implants were TOXIC
- James Bond: 1958 memo reveals Ian Fleming's plans for ill-fated first Bond film
- Stockton School shooting survivor Sarim Chabb is prime suspect in gun murder
- Henry Earl hearing: Most arrested man goes before judge to hear if he'll celebrate the holidays in jail
- Excruciatingly embarrassing (but funny) notes left by sleep-deprived neighbours disturbed by couples in the throes of passion
- Does China want to turn the moon into a DEATH STAR?
- Bentley team up with Lalique to unveil £3,000 perfume
- Can YOU say the world's hardest tongue twister? Psychologists invent tricky phrase to shed light on brain's speech processes